I told you this was pasta week.
Oh did you miss my last post? I realised I was posting three pasta recipes this week. A roasted vegetable pea pasta bake, a creamy spinach and basil pasta and this rich ragu which I served with tagliatelle.
Don’t worry we have eaten other meals in between. We haven’t just lived on pasta this week. We’ve had carrot, lentil and spinach soup, vegetable packed pizza and an aubergine dish with potatoes and asparagus. One night it all went to pot and we gave up and ate chips (fries my American friends) from the chip shop with quickly heated baked beans. Yes, even food bloggers have nights like that.
Tinned or freshly cooked lentils?
For this dish I used Napolina tinned lentils which are brown lentils in water. They are part of a new range from Napolina, that well known Italian brand. They have also introduced two ready to use sugar free jarred pasta sauces, tomato passata, extra virgin olive oil spray and two varieties of gluten-free pasta (green pea and red lentil).
What is a ragu?
Rich Mushroom and Lentil Ragu Recipe
A rich mushroom and lentil ragu served with tagliatelle the Italian way. An easy your family and friends will love. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300 large flat mushrooms, finely chopped
- 400g tin brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- a generous glug of red wine
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- a good grinding of salt and pepper
1. In a large pan, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft. 2. Add the mushrooms and cook those until they are soft too, then add the lentils, chopped tomatoes, thyme, wine and tomato puree. Crumble in the stock cube and stir well. 3. Leave it to cook gently for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is rich and thick.4. Season with salt and pepper and serve with freshly cooked tagliatelle. 5. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts per 6 servings:
0.4 grams saturated fat
Yield: Serves 4-6
Disclosure: I created this recipe to highlight new products from Napolina. I was not expected to write a positive review and any opinions expressed are my own.